Opportunity knocks on Najib; May 26th a Saturday most appropriate to have the GE-13?
- The Election Commission has made several announcements; the indelible ink will be used in the GE-13, the delineation of boundaries for the various constituencies will be done after the GE-13, journalists will be allowed to vote by post and the cleaning and updating of the electoral roll will be completed soon. Radio Television Malaysia (RTM) has also been airing about voting and EC every day for the past month.
- The proposed listing of the FGVH will be postponed after the GE-13 as by then, UMNO will have the mandate to whatever it wants without any fear of being ousted in a general election; the listing will just be bulldozed through. Listing it now will create so many controversies as many of the FELDA settlers have started to question about their future which nobody in UMNO can guarantee. This will also ensure that at the end of the day, UMNO can still reap all the benefits from the listing.
- The MACC’s operations review panel (PPO) chairman Hadenan Abdul Jalil, a former auditor-general, in charge of the NFC debacle said “This case has gone ‘out of control’ and [has become] highly politicised. MACC has to decide if Shahrizat (Abdul Jalil) has any role in the decision-making of the government relating to the funding of the NFC. That is the prime objective of the MACC’s investigations, which is separate from the police probe on the operations of the National Feedlot Corporation (NFCorp)”
- Hadenan also said that the MACC had already completed investigations on the NFC “Everybody is waiting for (the results of the case); the longer it drags, the more it becomes a problem for many of us. We feel that this case must be closed immediately. To be fair to the person who is involved… we need a conclusion,” Hadenan said.
- But surely Shahrizat will be found innocent as she has no official role in the decision-making of the government relating to the funding of the NFC and the police will take more time to investigate the embezzlement aspect of the NFCorp to suit the political situation.
- The handouts and other goodies should have the desired impact on the people.
- The increment for the civil servants will be finalized by April with some adjustments to pacify the grievances amongst the majority lower ranking officials. Indeed Najib has to make some adjustment as he made a blunder when he favoured the high ranking officials who are just a few and have little impact on the number of vote for UMNO/BN.
- At the Malaysian Investment Development Authority (MIDA) annual media conference on 21st February, Datuk Seri Mustapha Mohamed announced that the Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) inflows increased 12.3 percent in 2011 to RM32.9 billion in 2011 and the government expects similar growth this year.
- Then on 23rd February Malayan Banking Bhd (Maybank) said its three-month ended Dec 31, 2011 net profit grew 15.2% to RM1.296 billion from RM1.125 billion a year ago, driven by steady loan growth and rising contribution from overseas operations. More good economic and financial announcement will be made for the Q1 of this year.
Mahathir smelled something in the Najib camp.
Then recently there was a meeting between Mahathir and PERKASA chief Ibrahim Ali with the presence of several top UMNO veterans who obviously are all Mahathir supporters desperately scheming for Mukhriz which to pre-empt any moves by Najib as Mahathir knows Najib is on to something.
PERKASA by the way is not on Najib’s side as Dr. Rosmah did not say much about PERKASA either after she attended the PERKASA dinner recently.
Mahathir knows that Najib is going to go against him if possible, and Mukhriz will have no chance to be the prime minister within Mahathir’s life time. Since Najib and Rosmah have shied away from PERKASA, Mahathir will use PERKASA to force Najib to obey him.
Najib giving clear signs
Najib has also announced that the annual meeting for all the UMNO branches will be held between 1st April and 15th June, while the divisions will be held from 1st July to 15th September. The annual celebration for the formation of UMNO will be held on 11th May 2012.
The preparedness of the EC, the intense propaganda by RTM and all the pro-government television channels, postponing the FGVH listing, the early completion of the MACC investigation into the NFC debacle, the rationalizing of the civil service increment, the good financial reports, the Mahathir-PERKASA meeting, the dates announced by Najib and continued attacks on Anwar with a new weapon (Israel issue), attack on Kedah and Selangor (SELCAT), which obviously was the result of the paid cyber troopers and all of the above are clear indicators for the possible GE-13 soon this year.
But one thing Najib has not announced is the election date for UMNO; when the UMNO general assembly will be held?
Najib knows that it takes time to implement the Mahathir-PERKASA plan and he has to act fast. Najib will use the “winnable candidate list” as his leverage and he can play it several ways. But the best thing to do is to surprise ever body including Mahathir, who always has as surprise of his own.
Najib will use the annual UMNO celebration as momentum for the GE-13
Najib can garner all the supports from the UMNO members, the BN component parties and even the rest of the Malaysians who support BN during the annual UMNO celebration on 11th May as a force to create an immediate momentum of support for himself to have the GE-13 soon after the celebrations.
Najib has also promised something very special for the celebration. After all, Najib has always banked on his image to win the GE-13. Najib has also visited so many states in Malaysia and has made so many promises everywhere he goes and recently the Thaipusam celebration showed enough Indian supports for him.
Taib Mahmud is holding steady in Sarawak, Najib has to take a calculated gamble in Sabah as the people there are being more divided making it easier for UMNO to win. Visiting Melaka recently is more like the end of his political tour whereby the easily won state like Melaka is not his priority and of course the end of the tour is Selangor the unwinnable state, at least for now.
PR will also be taken by surprise
The Anwar-Israel issue is still hot in the mainstream media, UMNO is twisting the SELCAT initiative, Utusan Malaysia continue to give bad stories about Kedah and the purported protest by several exco-members against Datuk Seri Azizan Abdul Razak the Kedah Menteri Besar.
Even PR will be taken by surprise since they are pre-occupied with SELCAT involve PR members, Penang land matters that Lim Guan Eng still has to resolve, the purported protests in Kedah, the Green Gathering against Lynas, the Anwar-Israel issue, Hilmi coming back to smear Elizabeth Wong again, Pas Vice President Mat Sabu will be hauled up and several more debates between DAP and MCA.
Najib will continue being the prime minister and a strong UMNO president if all goes as planned.
By holding the GE-13 as mentioned above, this it will sabotage the maneuvers made by Mahathir-PERKASA because UMNO has to face the GE-13 and all must be united. The various annual branch and divisional meetings will begin as announced but even before all the meetings start, Najib will announce the winnable candidates for the GE-13 and there will be no time to quarrel as UMNO has to stay united to win the GE-13 and after the GE-13 automatically these candidate will take over the meeting and have their own office bearers to prepare for the UMNO elections in the UMNO general assembly later whereby the delegate will give their full support to Najib to be their president. Najib will be powerful enough to determine who his deputy will be.
So give two weeks from 11th May for election campaigns, 26th May 2012, a Saturday will be most appropriate for the GE-13.