I would like to ask the minister incharge of the taxi service in Malaysia,
Q: “WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO ACHIEVE WITH THE TAXI SERVICE UNDER YOUR WATCH?
The probable answer would be,
A: Errr…. I am not sure…err..to..to..
Actually the main purpose of the Malaysian taxi service is still vague but what the politicians want is clear.
The whole purpose of the service must be crystal clear for things to improve. The government must be very clear on it’s objectives and based on this objectives, things can then be worked out to meet them. There must be a mission statement, a target of achievements and the constant review, monitoring, controlling and improvrment. Unfortunately none of these are in place.
THE MISSION STATEMENT COULD BE:
“To Be The Reference Point of Other Taxi Services in The World”
THE OBJECTIVES COULD BE:
- To provide complimentary mode of transport to the overall transport system to ensure seamless transport system for the nation
- To provide employment for those involved in the taxi service
- To contribute to the growth of the nation
THE TARGET COULD BE:
- To ensure competitive alternative mode of transport for the public
- To ensure that those involved in the taxi service are bona fide persons whose sustainance and livelihood is in the taxi service
- To provide efficient and reliable service
HOW IT COULD BE DONE,
- To ensure the number to taxis provided is compatible to the routes, the area, demography and available transport connections
- Constant review, monitoring, controlling, enforcement and improvement must be carried out to achieve miminum complaints per year.
- The authority must have enough qualified, diligent and hardworking personnel in the various departments.
However based on the various greivances, complaints both form the taxi drivers and the public (please refer to the link above) the present taxi service in Malaysia is still too much to be desired.
The government has not played its part but has used the taxi service as follows:
- A political tool to ensure taxi owners, drivers and those related to the taxi service will vote for the government by selecting pro-government applications
- A money-making-scam by issuing taxi permits with vested interests
- Force everything into the throat of the rakyat
- Serves the interests of cronies, ball carriers and business people whole are directly and indirectly related to the taxi service in Malaysia.
With the above, I bet you that the Malaysian taxi service can never be improved and the public will be short-changed, the public won’t get the best deal and the overall public transport system in Malaysia can never be good and our roads will get more congested and the entire nation will never be efficient.